GlobalAutoIndustry.com’s latest Audio Interview, “China: The Future of New and Smart Mobility,” features Bill Russo, founder and CEO of China-based Automobility. Russo is a globally recognized automotive and mobility expert with more than 35 years of experience including 15-plus years as an automotive executive, with more than 13 years in China. Russo was previously vice president of Chrysler NE Asia and has worked in the information technology and electronics industries.
In this 19-minute Audio Interview, Russo discusses the following questions:
• How does China differ from the western countries in terms of the shifting business model from vehicle-centric to user-centric?
• In China, most of the government focus is on high-tech, innovation, NEV, AV etc. Could you talk about these ambitions and how it is impacting the auto market in China?
• What impact does it have on foreign traditional automakers that want to get into China market?
• Could you give some examples how the policy and regulatory environment is impacting foreign businesses in China?
• The Chinese government has been subsidizing NEVs. How do you think it will impact the market?
• China has announced the intention to remove JV restriction on foreign manufacturers and traditional manufacturers over a five-year span by 2022, but they are doing this with EVs sooner. What do you think is the impact it will have on foreign companies?
About Bill Russo
Russo is the Shanghai-based founder and CEO of Automobility Limited, a strategy and investment advisory firm helping its clients to create the future of mobility. His more than 35 years of experience, which includes 15 years as an automotive executive, including 14 years of experience in China and Asia. He also has worked nearly 12 years in the electronics and information technology industries. He has worked as an adviser and consultant for numerous multinational and local Chinese firms in the formulation and implementation of their global market and product strategies. Russo also is currently serving as the chair of the Automotive Committee at the American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai.
In his current role, Russo advises start-ups, corporations and investors on how to maximize their participation in China’s Automobility Revolution. In order to achieve success, he believes they must expand their focus from the product (the automobile) to the utility derived from the product (“automobility”) and create a business model and digital ecosystem optimized to provide digitally enabled solutions for both car owners and mobility services users.
Russo was previously the regional head of Chrysler in Northeast Asia, where he successfully negotiated agreements with partners and obtained required approvals from the Chinese government to bring six new vehicle programs to the market in a three-year period, while concurrently establishing an infrastructure for local sourcing and sales distribution.
Russo has a Bachelor of Science in chemical engineering from Columbia University in New York, and a Master of Science in manufacturing systems engineering from Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Russo is a highly sought-after opinion leader on the development of the China market and the automotive industry.
Click here to listen to the 19-minute Audio Interview with Bill Russo.
GlobalAutoIndustry.com is the leading global business intelligence source for the automotive industry, connecting the worldwide auto supplier industry with the resources to effectively do business globally. Through the website, auto supplier executives can find insight, solutions and strategies focused on doing business in the world’s top automotive markets. Global Business Professor is the leading online education company helping corporate professionals and business school students learn practical, up-to-date international business skills. Global Business Professor offerings include on-demand seminars from practicing experts around the world, audio interviews, online courses, reports, studies and international business eJournals.