An acoustic camera, an augmented-reality training tool and an air-conditioning system that works without chemical refrigerants were among the winners of the 2018 Automechanika Innovation Awards.
Presented on Sept. 11 at Automechanika Frankfurt 2018, the awards went to 10 winners, chosen from a total of 120 entries.
A jury of eight experts from industry, trade, associations, science and media made the decisions. The judging criteria were innovative content, solution excellence, functionality, aftermarket relevance, safety, security, quality, contribution to environmental protection, resource conservation and sustainability.
This year’s entries pointed to automotive “megatrends” such as digitalization and clean vehicles. For the second time, the jury gave the Green Award for the most sustainable new product to Knorr-Bremse Systeme für Nutzfahrzeuge for its Electronic Air Control (EAC).
The award winners are:
Parts & Components
- Company: FIAMM Energy Technology
- Product: FIAMM AGM powerCUBE batteries for trucks
- Description: FIAMM AGM powerCUBE is a new range of batteries for heavy commercial vehicles and meets the requirements for medium to long distances.
Electronics & Systems
- Company: OSRAM
- Product: OSRAM LEDriving Golf VII headlamp
- Description: OSRAM LEDriving Golf VII headlamps offer a legal performance and design upgrade for halogen-based Golf VII models. All light functions offer the latest LED technology: dipped, main, driving, position and indicating lights. Safety in traffic also plays a major role.
Accessories & Customizing
- Company: Enganches y Remolques Aragón
- Product: IntegraLED trailer socket
- Description: IntegraLED Trailer Socket is a lighting system for easier fitment and connection to the trailer socket and is normally installed beneath or behind the rear bumper of the towing vehicle, near the towing hook.
Repair & Maintenance
- Company: MEYLE
- Product: MEYLE HD slotted bush kit with tool
- Description: With the MEYLE HD Slotted Bush Kit, which includes a specially developed tool, Hamburg-based MEYLE offers a complete smart repair kit for replacing defective BMW rear-axle control-arm bushes in selected 5, 6 and 7 Series and X5 models.
Repair & Diagnostics
- Company: AVL DiTEST
- Product: AVL DiTEST AKAM – acoustic camera
- Description: Designed for automobile applications, the acoustic camera combines several microphones with a camera, enabling the user to locate the source and intensity of disturbing noises exactly. The source of the noise is shown in color on the camera display.
Dealer & Workshop Management
- Company: PE Data
- Product: QR.VIN
- Description: Ordering parts can be a laborious and frustrating process. The solution is a sticker that can be stuck to every truck and trailer and activated quickly via the dealer’s electronic catalog. “Simply scan the QR code and effortlessly place the order,” PE Data says.
Alternative Drive Systems & Digital Solutions
- Company: Robert Bosch
- Product: Bosch Common Augmented Reality Platform (CAP)
- Description: Augmented reality (AR) adds a digital dimension to reality in the form of helpful supplementary information, such as videos, images and explanations. Bosch has developed an AR solution resulting in new applications for the training sector, such as technical courses for shop personnel.
Classic Cars Products & Services
- Company: AVL DiTEST
- Product: AVL DiTEST – Multisense 1000
- Description: AVL DiTEST Multisense 1000 (MS 1000) is a special sensor for an oscilloscope that can be used as an ignition stroboscope, dynamic luxmeter, optical light-reflex sensor, dynamic microphone, stethoscope, magnetic-field detector and LED torch.
OE Products & Services
- Company: VALEO Services
- Product: A/C loop R-744
- Description: The Valeo R-744 air-conditioning system operates without any chemical refrigerant.
Truck Products & Services
- Company: Knorr-Bremse Systeme für Nutzfahrzeuge
- Product: Electronic air control (EAC)
- Description: The EAC provides intelligent control of the clutch compressor and integration of the electronic parking brake in a modular service concept.
Interactive Exhibit Features Award Winners
Attendees of Automechanika in Frankfurt can view the entries of the Innovation Award winners and finalists in an interactive exhibition in the “Festhalle” of the Frankfurt Fair and Exhibition Centre. For the first time, there will be guided tours to the exhibition stands of these companies during the fair.
“Many companies orientate their innovation cycles to the dates of Automechanika Frankfurt,” said Automechanika Frankfurt Director Olaf Musshoff at the awards ceremony on the first day of the trade show. “The density of innovations at Automechanika is incomparable. The Automechanika Innovation Awards are a valuable orientation aid for tomorrow’s trends in the sector. The ‘Festhalle’ should be an important port of call for every visitor to the fair.”
Automechanika Frankfurt runs from Sept. 11-15.