In a recent ASE Training Mangers Council (ATMC) webinar, President Dave Milne highlighted results from the 2020 ATMC Training Benchmarks Survey, which surveys those employed by the vehicle service industry. With more than 6,200 responses from working service personnel, this annual survey continues to yield accurate insights into the demographics of the workforce and their preferences for, and participation in, training.
Among important findings were:
- The average age of our service professional workforce is 47 years old.
- OE dealership technicians average 28 hours of structured training per year. Techs working in independent shops average 14 hours of structured training per year, and techs employed by fleets average 16 hours of training per year.
- Technicians believe they need (on average) 38 hours of structured training per year.
- More than half of technicians perceive their areas of greatest training need are Electrical/Electronic and Hybrid/EV Systems.
- Technicians’ perception of their access to training has become increasingly negative over the past four years.
Results from the survey are summarized at www.atmc.org.