Michelin North America has raised a record $682,000 from its annual charity golf tournament. The event, which is held every October at golf courses in the Greenville, South Carolina, area, is supported by Michelin suppliers and business partners throughout the world.
For Michelin, one of the leading global tire makers, this annual golf tournament in Greenville has become the company’s most successful one-day philanthropic fundraising event.
This year’s outing marked the 26th time Michelin has hosted the charity golf tournament. Since 1989, Michelin’s suppliers have contributed nearly $4 million for charities. Money collected from this year’s event will go to eight charities serving South Carolina and other communities where the company has manufacturing operations.
“The generosity of our suppliers this year was remarkable. We thought last year’s total was tremendous, and now we have collected donations for these charities that exceed 2014 by 27 percent. We are deeply grateful for their support of our communities,” said Leesa Owens, director of community relations for Michelin North America. “The organizations that will benefit from this generosity have a meaningful and important impact on their local communities. Many lives will be touched by these contributions from our valued suppliers.”
The eight charities from this year’s list of beneficiaries include:
- Homes for Hope serves area communities by developing and constructing energy-efficient, affordable housing, while also helping rebuild the lives of people who are trying to overcome addictions by providing on-site job training and mentoring.
- The Center for Community Services works to improve the lives of children and their families, serving the Golden Strip area and Southern Greenville County.
- Military Child Education focuses on finding and ensuring quality education opportunities for military children affected by mobility, family separation and transition.
- PRIDE stands for the Parents’ Resource Institute for Drug Education in the Tuscaloosa, Ala., community. PRIDE of Tuscaloosa and Prevention Services is dedicated to providing proven and effective drug prevention education programs to the parents and youth in the city.
- National Organizations for Youth Safety has a mission to promote youth empowerment and leadership and build partnerships that will save lives, prevent injuries and promote safe and healthy lifestyles among all youth.
- Palmetto Conservation Foundation is a Columbia-based, nonprofit organization dedicated to natural and cultural resource protection in South Carolina.
- Safe Harbor is a private, 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to helping victims of domestic violence in the upstate of South Carolina. Safe Harbor breaks the cycle of domestic violence by prevention through education, intervention through safe shelter and transformation through support.
- The Walker Foundation at the SC School for the Deaf and the Blind’s mission is to secure resources that will enable SCSDB to achieve its mission and goals.
“We are very pleased to host the Michelin Charity Golf Tournament, which, thanks to our incredibly generous supplier partners, has such a meaningful and very positive impact on our eight selected charities,” said Norman King, vice president of purchasing for Michelin North America. “This event is an outstanding example of how we, in partnership with our suppliers and selected charities, can work together in creating a better way forward in the communities where we operate.”